In this tutorial, we will illustrate a “Bulb”. Drawing a “Bulb Illustration” will fall in the “Technical Drawing” category. We will use Adobe illustrator to create the Illustration. This will be compatible to any version above CS4.
Pre-requisite for the tutorials: It has been assumed that the reader has the preliminary knowledge and efficiency on using the software Adobe Illustrator. Specifically with using the Pen Tool and other Basic Drawing Tools; Basic Colouring Tools like Colour Pallets, Colour Swatches, and Gradient Tool & Mess Tool.
Remember that in all the positions wherein we are drawing using the Pen Tool, you can alternatively choose to use a Digital Pen-Tablet to draw the required lines, curves, shapes etc. or the Pencil Tool or Brush Tool (with appropriate settings).
Requirements: Adobe Illustrator
What will you get?
- Instant download of PDF e-book (13 pages, 35 steps)
- Comes with Ai file for easy reference
- Detailed step by step tutorial to draw a nice realistic light bulb
1. Open an Illustrator document with 600 pixel width and 600 pixel height. Go to the Menu bar and click on Window > Layers to open the Layers panel. With one default layer already existing in it, click on the "Create New Layer" button existing in the bottom part of this Layers panel for five (05) times to let a total number of six (06) layers to exist in the panel.
2. Name the layers from the top to bottom in this order: Â Â 1) Â Â holder bottom Â Â 2) Â Â holder upperÂ Â 3) Â Â holder middleÂ Â 4)Â Â inside partÂ Â 5)Â Â top glassÂ Â 6)Â Â bgÂ Draw a Black Background using Rectangle Tool on the bg Layer. Follow the step by step instructions and images given within it.
3. Select the top glass layer. Draw the shape of the Bulb using the Pen Tool and give Gradient colour as appropriate.
4. Draw an Unclosed shape of the Bulb using Pen Tool without any Fill..
5. Put Gaussian Blur on the strokes of the Unclosed Bulb shape.
6. Combine the Shapes of Step- 03 to create the below shape.
7. Draw the below shapes using Pen Tool and apply Gradient colour.